in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Clean setup of Norma

Last post Sat, May 8 2010 8:17 by Randy Kahle. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 27 2009 9:47

• Randy Kahle
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 27 2009
    • Fort Collins, CO
    • Posts 3

Clean setup of Norma

I have been away from the world of ORM for a while and now I'm ready to set up my workbench again, this time using Norma. What is the currently recommend environment? Should I use Win7, Vista or XP? Which version of Visual Studio is best? Thank you! -- Randy Kahle
  • Fri, Nov 27 2009 14:59 In reply to

Re: Clean setup of Norma

Randy, 

NORMA supports VS2005 and VS2008 on any of the OS's. Make sure you either use 'SetupVista.bat' or launch Setup.bat with administrative privileges on Vista.

We have not done any formal testing on Windows7, but have also not heard of any problems. If anyone encounters any Windows 7 issues please let me know.

I will be getting to VS2010 well before it releases, but can't say exactly when right now. It will either be a quick port or a major effort, depending on backward compatibility in Visual Studio and the DSL toolkit for 2010.

-Matt

• Fri, May 7 2010 16:56 In reply to

• Randy Kahle
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Fort Collins, CO
    • Posts 3

Mathew, 

I did a clean install of Windows7 Professional 32 bit and VS2008 Professional.

When I try to install NORMA I get a message:

Installing current PLiX version

New PLiX version failed to install

Press any key to continue...

I don't know what to try next. Thanks for any help.

Randy

• Fri, May 7 2010 19:24 In reply to

Hi Randy,

Make sure you have a .NET language package (C# or VB) installed with VS2008 Pro. 

There isn't much I can do to debug this without a setup log. To get a log, get the "PliX for Visual Studio.msi" file in a writeable directory (I'll assume C:\PLiX), then from a command prompt open on that directory run:

msiexec /i "PLiX for Visual Studio.msi" /lv /log "PLiXSetup.log"

Then send me the log file (it should contain the word 'error' somewhere in it).

There is also a possibility that the .bat file is having problems on Windows 7 and getting a false negative for a valid installation. In the Control Panel Add/Remove programs dialog, you should see 'Neumont PLiX (Programming Language in XML) for Visual Studio' if PLiX installed correctly.

NORMA only needs PLiX if you're generating and some code files. You should be able to fake the installation so that you can continue with the NORMA setup. The registry value it is checking for is HKLM\SOFTWARE\Neumont\PLiX for Visual Studio where the SchemaVersion attribute needs to be set to a string value of 4. If you add this key by hand you should either be able to run the Natural ORM Architect for Visual Studio 2008.msi manually, or edit setup.bat to skip the PLiX section (look for the first line with 'PLiX' (a comment) and insert GOTO :PLIXINSTALLED as the next line in the file.

Note that all setup.bat is doing for a new installation on VS2008 is running the PLiX msi, then the NORMA msi. You can invoke these files manually if the batch file is failing.

Any investigative info you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks for your patience in helping me find the problem.

-Matt

• Sat, May 8 2010 8:17 In reply to

• Randy Kahle
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Fort Collins, CO
    • Posts 3

Thanks for the reply.

I did not originally specify any language for VS2008 as I only want to use NORMA... I went back added language support.

Then I went back to the expanded directory for the installation download and noticed that there are two Windows Installer Packages. I double clicked on PLiX for Visual Studio and used the wizard and the ran Natural ORM Architect for Visual Studio and used that wizard.

It seems to have installed.

Thanks! -- Randy

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service