in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Importing/exporting diagrams

Last post Sun, Dec 12 2010 4:11 by Genyus. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 11 2010 1:44

• Genyus
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 9 2010
    • Posts 4

Importing/exporting diagrams

I've just recently discovered this tool and I'd firstly like to offer a massive thank-you to the development team. I'm still exploring the capabilities of this tool, but I have a few questions that I could hopefully get some insights on.

1. Is there any way to transfer a set of objects (or an entire diagram) from one model file to another? I searched on here and found a post detailing how to drag-and-drop between diagrams, but that doesn't work across different models.
    2. If I create a binary/ternary fact type and then need to reverse the sides later for layout purposes, is there any quicker way to do so than deleting and re-creating it?
  • Sat, Dec 11 2010 3:03 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Re: Importing/exporting diagrams

Hi Genyus and welcome to ORM.

Here is a solution to question 2.

Hope this helps
    Ken

PS: Click on the image and it will enlarge to a viewable size.

Procedure 
    Enter a fact in the Fact Editor
    Look at the verbalization
    Drag the objects to the new layout
    Highlight the two role boxes
    Right click the highlighted role boxes and choose "Reverse Role Order"
    Highlight the whole fact and choose the "Align Middles" icon from the Format toolbar
    Look at the verbalisation - it has not changed from step 2

Filed under:
  • Sat, Dec 11 2010 20:43 In reply to

Hi Ken and Genyus,

A couple of notes on Ken's answer, and a comment on 1:

The 'Reverse Role Order' command is also available directly on the FactType selection in the 'Orientation' submenu, which also lets you rotate the shape +/-90 degrees and change the constraint position. Some of these options are also available in the properties window.

A relatively recent addition (which Ken may not have known about, look at the February 2010 change list in the NORMA readme file) also allows you to reorder the roles by dragging within the same shape. Just drop the left role on the right role (or vice versa).

As for cross-model shape movement, this is a recent addition that hasn't made it to a public drop yet. You can make any select in a model and drag it to another one, and you will automatically get all required dependencies in the new model. Additional drags will pattern-match so previous elements are merged instead of duplicated. I haven't done full diagram drag yet (select all, then drag to get all the shapes), but I have added auto-activation of diagram tabs on a drag over (this also makes intra-model drag much easier).

These changes will be in the next release (along with VS2010 support), which will be available near the end of the month.

-Matt

• Sun, Dec 12 2010 4:11 In reply to

• Genyus
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 9 2010
    • Posts 4

Ken, Matthew, thank you both for your very detailed and helpful responses. I'm very glad to hear VS2010 support is almost ready.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service