in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Literature

Last post Thu, Mar 13 2008 11:53 by Terry Halpin. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 10 2008 13:44

• Jos Bol
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 8 2008
    • Rio de Janeiro
    • Posts 10

Literature

It would be nice to have a forum for discussing the available literature on ORM/NIAM/etc. to able to concentrate all the questions and remarks on the books for others to read. 

Talking about books: The front page mentions that the new book of Terry Halpin will be released in april 2008, but Amazon lists it as already available. My copy of the book has actually been shipped already. 

http://www.amazon.com/Information-Modeling-Relational-Databases-Second/dp/0123735688/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205170023&sr=8-1

• Mon, Mar 10 2008 15:19 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Re: Literature

The literature forum is a good idea. What name would you suggest for the Forum?

Regarding Terry's new book, the "April" date is based on what we have been told by the publisher.
    Amazon UK is also saying April. You seem to be one of the lucky ones !

What do you think of having a Forum just to discuss Terry's new book?

Filed under:
  • Mon, Mar 10 2008 16:20 In reply to

• Jos Bol
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 8 2008
    • Rio de Janeiro
    • Posts 10

I'd simply suggest the name "Literature" or "Books". Altough I agree that most of the discussions will be most likely on Terry Halpins new book, there should be room to discuss other books as well. I'm sure that there is literature that might not be solely, or not at all, on ORM, but may have valueable information on related subjects. Considering CS books aren't all that cheap and can sometimes take quite some time to go through it, it would be very handy to read the opinions of other people involved with ORM. There might be books on SQL for example detailing certain constructs, patterns if you like, that may come in handy when implementing constraints.

Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Mar 10 2008 16:48 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

OK - the new Literature forum is set up.

Filed under:
  • Thu, Mar 13 2008 11:53 In reply to

Thanks for setting up the literature forum.

The second edition of Information Modeling and Relational Databases was released March 3 in the US, and is currently available there, but I'm told that it won't be available in Europe until around April 11.

The publishers's online website for the book is still being set up, but will contain extra materials, including five appendices and answers to the odd numbered exercise questions. The latest errata file for the book can be found on my website here: http://www.orm.net/Errata2.htm.

Cheers

Terry

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service