in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Problem with Toolbox on Windows 7 workstation

Last post Mon, May 20 2013 2:26 by mnnoon. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 19 2013 17:36

• mnnoon
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • Lawndale, CA
    • Posts 60

Problem with Toolbox on Windows 7 workstation

On a clients machine they have my login setup up as a regular non-admin user and I asked the local admin to install the Norma tool from his acct.  I installed update 2 in vs2012 from the admin acct as well and everything works great except the toolbox for an orm model.

I have the same configuration on my home computer except its on a Windows 8 machine.  Back on the clients workstation however the toolbox simply causes the visual studio instance to crash immediately.  On my logon session I have access to all the models and I can see changes through TFS that I made at home, but I can't seem to use the tool box for anything including constraints or notes.  The act of clicking anywhere in the orm toolbox and then moving the mouse cursor over the orm model instantly causes the visual studio session to crash on the client workstation.

I'm guessing that some sort of process in Visual Studio 2012 is trying to store temporary data into the commons folder when a new object is created using the toolbox and since I have non-admin access it hits a security exception of some sort which causes it to crash.  The fact editor does not cause this problem however and I can save everything to my documents folder fine by avoiding the toolbox.

• Mon, May 20 2013 0:52 In reply to

Re: Problem with Toolbox on Windows 7 workstation

Hi Marc,

Can you get a callstack for the crash? The debug (pdb) files are installed with NORMA, so you should be able to get a full stack trace. There are some tips about how to do this in the readme, but it is straightforward if you're used to debugging in Visual Studio. Just attach another VS process to the NORMA devenv.exe.

Can you right-click and reset the toolbox before dragging anything out?

NORMA writes data to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ORM Solutions\Natural ORM Architect\ToolboxRevisions key to indicate the NORMA extension assembly version [the core is treated like any other extension, you just can't turn it off] used to populate the toolbox. You should have non-admin permissions to read/write this key.

• Do you have data in this key?
    • If you delete it, do any of your other results change?

Let me know if any of this helps.

-Matt

• Mon, May 20 2013 2:17 In reply to

• mnnoon
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Lawndale, CA
    • Posts 60

Looks like I reset the toolbox too soon b/c I can't re-create the problem now.

The ORMSolutions key ORMSolutions.ORMArchitect.Core.ShapeModel.ORMShapeDomainModel has REG_DWORD = 0x00001b00 (6912)

Its working great now.  The only hint I can give you as to maybe why it did this is b/c when I initially tried to install it on the client machine I installed from a non-admin account.  Then when that didn't work I asked the admin for permission to install.  I didn't notice the problem until a few days later. I'll try and delete it now and see what happens.

• Mon, May 20 2013 2:26 In reply to

• mnnoon
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Lawndale, CA
    • Posts 60

I deleted the key and did not notice anything unusual.  The toolbox still works.  Looks like its fixed to me.  Verbalizer is the most useful feature for me and that seems to work as well. I was also able to create notes and link to entities, value types, and fact types.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service