in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Population validation on a join subset constraint

Last post Fri, Feb 14 2014 16:21 by koneill. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 9 2013 10:39

• koneill
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 17 2012
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 38

Population validation on a join subset constraint

Hi,

I have a question regarding the join subset contraint in NORMA. I think that theres no population validation when using a join subset constraint. Is this true? Or am i doing someting wrong?

I have the following subset constraint. No errors are displayed in the error list.

Subset constraint: 

The only examples I have in my model

Examples:
    Advisor 'Adam' speaks Language 'Dutch'.

Regards,
    Karl

• Fri, Aug 9 2013 17:13 In reply to

Re: Population validation on a join subset constraint

Hi Karl Sorry. The join subset constraint verbalizes correctly, but we do not yet check for sample population violations of that constraint. At this stage, we check sample population violations for only basic constraints. Adding population checks for advanced constraints is on our to-do list for a future release. Cheers Terry
  • Sat, Aug 10 2013 3:24 In reply to

• koneill
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 38

No problem. I will keep it in mind when entering sample populations. The verbalization was indeed fine so I was doubting my understanding of the rule. Great tool by the way! Regards, Karl
  • Wed, Feb 12 2014 14:11 In reply to

Does any tool (separate from NORMA) exist to check whether a sample population satisfies all constraints in an ORM model? Thanks, Matt
  • Wed, Feb 12 2014 15:06 In reply to

• koneill
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 38

Doctool does, which is a tool that supports the cogNiam method. It has many similar features including verbalization. However it is expensive.
  • Fri, Feb 14 2014 14:30 In reply to

I'm not in a position to comment on any recent Doctool versions as it has been close to a decade since I touched a new version, but I am familiar with the approach. There is certainly a stronger emphasis on sample population as the whole system focuses on the lexical level. The system does not use ORM object types at all. The primary display is called a 'fact type diagram', with a single fact type diagram representing multiple elementary fact types in ORM.

Given the lack of object types, which are fundamental for forming the ORM verbalization patterns, the Doctool verbalization is generally limited to inserting sample data into the sentence patterns written by the user. This is a much different style of verbalization and validation than we use in the NORMA tool, which forms logical statements based solely on the model, not a population. Both approaches have benefits.

Karl, if you've used the tool, please let the forum know if I've misrepresented anything here.

(Back to NORMA) 

To validate a sample population against all constraints effectively requires a full physical implementation of the constraints in the system. This would also likely be a different implementation than a production system with soft (deontic) constraints so that invalid data could be entered. If this happens in the tool, it will likely be based on such a mapping of the system, with data entry still done at the conceptual (fact type and object type) level.

-Matt

• Fri, Feb 14 2014 16:21 In reply to

• koneill
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 38

Hi Matt, I've used the tool a few years back (and i am up to speed on cogniam) and you're spot on. A big difference is that the facttypes in doctool do not require a uniqueness constraint to cover the n-1 roles of the facttype. That, of course, is because that is allowed way of modellingin the niam method. However if you can analyse and model in norma, you can pick up doctool very quickly as most of the constraints (equality, subset, value, etc) are identical. My personal opinion is that both methods have the same 'core' advantages of which the following are the most powerful ; verbalizing the relationship between attributes and using sample populations. It basically forces the analyst to understand the subject matter :). Regards, Karl
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service