in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Displaying (syntactic) data type in verbalization of model

Last post Mon, Sep 29 2014 11:08 by Matthew Curland. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 30 2014 23:11

• koneill
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 17 2012
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 38

Displaying (syntactic) data type in verbalization of model

Hi there,

Would it be possible to display the (syntactic) data type in the ORM verbalization browser? For example; I have a value type "Name" which has a data type "variable length" and may not be longer than 32 characters. The verbalization of that value type is as follows;

Name is a value type.
    Portable data type: Text: Variable Length.

As you see it does not include the length that I have defined in the properties of the value type.

As far as I know, the only way to include the "weak" value constraint (as it is called in my favorite big brown book Smile) is to generate the relational view with the extension manager.If possible, I'd like to avoid this and only include ORM diagrams and their verbalisations in my design documents.

Regards,
    Karl

• Thu, Jul 31 2014 19:53 In reply to

Re: Displaying (syntactic) data type in verbalization of model

Hi Karl,

I'll just add it in, it shouldn't be hard.

If it is OK, I'll just show the numbers instead of text with them. There are currently two fields (length and scale) that are basically placeholders and appear with different names in the properties window (length becomes precision for Money and Decimal types). Translating those names into verbalization snippets (which pull strings from a totally different and much more configurable source than the resource files) is more involved than I have time to get right now, so you'll just see numbers like (10) or (13, 5) at the end of the text. A length of 0 translates to MAX in the relational mappings, but I'm not going to try any data transformation here. You'll just see (0).

'Portable data type' is not a name we display anywhere else, so I'm changing this to 'Data Type:' to match other verbalization strings (like 'Reference Mode:'). Also, if an entity type has a resolved reference mode then its identifier also resolves to a single data type, so I'll go ahead and show the data type as well. This will give you the information without expanding reference modes, which is a hassle.

Let me know if there are any objections and I'll put this in the next release on the NORMAPreview page.

Cheers, 

-Matt 

• Fri, Aug 1 2014 3:38 In reply to

• koneill
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 38

Hi Matt,

That sounds perfect. Can't wait!  

Regards,

Karl 

• Wed, Sep 24 2014 3:47 In reply to

• koneill
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 38

Hi,

I don't want to sound impatient but I was wondering when the next update to NORMA will be available Smile

Regards,

Karl

• Fri, Sep 26 2014 13:45 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Hi Karl,

Earlier this week when we met in Bolzano, Matt told me that there is not much work left to do on the next release so he would get it out "pretty soon".

However, he is working flat out on some urgent projects so "pretty soon" for him is probably "not soon enough" for the rest of us.

Ken 

• Mon, Sep 29 2014 11:08 In reply to

Hi Karl,

I have some minor changes to make before changing the dll version and officially releasing. In the mean time, http://ormsolutions.com/NORMAPreview is kept up to date with builds from the latest sources and will be very close to the next official build.

-Matt 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service