in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Visual Studio 2017 support

Last post Sun, Apr 29 2018 17:10 by Ken Evans. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 4 2017 14:23

Visual Studio 2017 support

I know it hasn't been out that long, but is there a plan for supporting Visual Studio 2017 with NORMA or will the VS 2015 version work with VS 2017?

I realize that the project is being done by volunteers, and it is appreciated.  I rely on this tool and am upgrading to VS 2017 and wanted to see where the newest version of Visual Studio is on the road-map. 

• Wed, Oct 4 2017 16:50 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 751

Re: Visual Studio 2017 support

As you say, the NORMA upgrade to Visual Studio 2017 awaits volunteers to do the work.

You can see the current status here.

Please let me know of anyone who wants to help. 

Ken 

• Wed, Jan 24 2018 10:25 In reply to

• evorobey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 22 2009
    • Posts 4

Dear Ken

Why is NORMA being developed by volunteers? It is a part of VS, that is Microsoft's product, right? Are Microsoft interested in development of NORMA?

Elena. 

• Wed, Jan 24 2018 12:05 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 751

Hi Elena,

NORMA is not “part of” Visual Studio (VS), NORMA is an extensionto VS.

I discussed ORM with Microsoft’s Visual Studio manager in 2001 and my most recent contact with a person from Redmond was in late 2016. Much of Microsoft’s income is derived from selling licenses for their software. However, NORMA is open source and free. Microsoft stopped workon their own ORM project more than ten years ago.

NORMA started life in 2005 as a University project led by Dr Terry Halpin and manyof Terry’s students made contributions to the code. In recent years, only Terry and Matt Curland have worked on the technical aspects of NORMA and Matt Curland’s most recent contribution is the VS 2015 release which is a free download. (Thanks Matt)

However, some of the reported bugs have remained unresolved for more than ten years and having only one part-time developer is a big risk so in September 2016, I set up this JIRAproject to provide a structured environment that allowed more people to contribute.

As many ORM users will tell you, ORM and NORMA are much more cost effective than alternative methods and some organisations such as the European Space Agency have got the message. We are making progress – albeit slowly.

Ken

• Mon, Jan 29 2018 14:45 In reply to

• evorobey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 22 2009
    • Posts 4

Hello, Ken 

Thank you very much for so detailed description of the current ORM status. 

I believe that ORM is underestimated as by domain developers as by tool developers.

ORM could add a significant value to any modelling tool. 

I have been using ORM since 2002 year as my primary modelling tool and I appreciate your and your colleagues’ outstanding contribution to ORM. 

Regards, Elena.

• Sun, Apr 29 2018 17:10 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 751

Hi Elena,

We are now testing NORMA for Visual Studio 2017.

If you would like to test a pre-release version of NORMA for Visual Studio 2017, please send an email to vs2017@ormfoundation.org with a summary of your interest in ORM and how the VS2017 version will help you.

Thanks

Ken 

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
© 2008-2018 The ORM Foundation: A UK not-for-profit organisation -------------- Terms of Service