in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Extending the vision of extensions to ORM. Your viewpoint most welcome

Last post Thu, Mar 27 2008 19:03 by VictorMorgante. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 27 2008 5:15

Extending the vision of extensions to ORM. Your viewpoint most welcome

I was speaking with a colleague of mine the other day about work we are doing with an ORM meta model, and how people are starting to use ORM meta models to investigate ways of melding 'relational schemas' with 'functions' (viz Dr Morgan's 2007 ORM conference work on Business Process Modeling and ORM).

My friend said "Oh, your making a graphical programming language?!"

In researching Dr Halpin's paper entitled "Join Constraints" (which can be found on Dr Halpin's web site (orm.net) concludes with an invitation to discuss, research [and possibly even debate] the further extensions to ORM.

On reflection I found myself thinking that my colleague was right to some extent [to my mind]....
    i.e. the more you add higher level logic to a inherently graphical notation, the more it becomes like a graphic programming language.

I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions on this, and envisaging a what a 'software tool' would look like that did this.

1. Is it NORMA, coupled to Visual Studio?
    2. Or is it something else entirely?
    3. And do people want it?
    4. What are the benefits over ORM diagrams for data modeling, business rule repositories for higher order logic [within those rules], and just 'code' for even more complex logic?

If this is something that interests you, or you think you have an insight worth sharing with the rest of the community, perhaps this is a good forum and thread to investigate that?

Filed under:
  • Thu, Mar 27 2008 13:51 In reply to

Re: Extending the vision of extensions to ORM. Your viewpoint most welcome

In thinking about Visual Studio, keep in mind that the extensibility model of VS now includes the Visual Studio Shell in the 2008 version. This permits VS extensions like NORMA to be used by people who would otherwise not have VIsual Studio installed. It makes it a much better option going forward.

• Thu, Mar 27 2008 19:03 In reply to

Re: Extending the vision of extensions to ORM. Your viewpoint most welcome

I'm really excited by the prospect of a stand-alone NORMA as well. I think that will be great for ORM. Bit off topic, but maybe not.

Extensions to a stand-alone NORMA could utilise .Net in dynamic ways uncoupled from VS, interfacting with Business Process logic engines etc. Then we're in the domain of 'Business Analysts' rather than 'System/Software Analysts/Architects'. I find that interesting.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service