in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Spell checking forum posts

Last post Thu, Jun 19 2008 20:38 by Brian Nalewajek. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 19 2008 5:46

Spell checking forum posts

Admin,

I use FireFox to access the forums here.  I can't find a way to get FF's built in spell checking feature to work in the forum posts entries.  I does work in the search box, and even in the leave a comment to Library file section.  I have Content Editor set to Enhanced in user profile.  Can't think of anything else to try.  Please look into this, when you have a chance.  I can still use Word to compose then paste here; but it would help to have the spell checking here too.

Thanks,

BRN..

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 6:04 In reply to

• admin
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 21 2007
    • Posts 149

Re: Spell checking forum posts

Hi Brian,

There is a CS thred that discusses spellchecking in FF.
    The way I read the thread, the built in spell checker in FF "should work".
    You might consider making a post on the CS thread to ask how they did it.

Here is the link:   http://dev.communityserver.com/forums/p/481201/553751.aspx#553751

Hope this helps

Admin

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 8:17 In reply to

Hi,

I had searched for info and found that thread on CS forums before posting here.  Following your suggestion, I've posted a reply/question to that site, and will let you know if/when I get an answer (asked about options for the user and admin).  I noticed that I did not get the use of FF spell checking feature while composing the post on that site either (and I expect they have latest updates - so unlikely a version issue).

If this fails, consider adding this question to a future support ticket to CS.  Like the direct image paste issue, this is not critical, but would be a useful feature. 

Just for reference, I'm using FF version 3, that was released this week (and had been using a beta of V3 on another system).  The FF spell checker uses a red underline to indicate errors; and Rt clicking offers spelling suggestions and options to ignore or add to dictonary.  There is an advanced option to allow the feature to check small text boxes (and doing that had no effect on CS forum post composition).

Any notes on the "Enhanced editor" option in profiles section?  I didn't notice a difference over "Standard."

BRN..

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 12:11 In reply to

• admin
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 149

Answer

Hi Brian,

The Firefox spellchecker is now active.

Admin

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 12:39 In reply to

Thanks admin,

I'm not seeing the feature working at this point, but the FW'd info mentioned a time lag, or reset of the server, before it would kick in.  I see the ABC check icon, but clicking brings up download page for ieSpell (Internet Explorer only).  I'll check again another day and post the results.

BRN..

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 14:10 In reply to

• admin
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 149

I'd look at your FF settings.

The spellchecker worked for me within 30 seconds of updating the system.
    What you see is a red line under the incorrectly spelled word.

Admin

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 18:24 In reply to

Hi,

No the problem is not client-side; the FF spell checker works on other websites, and in other sections of this website - just not in the forums.  I suspect it maybe the "Enhanced editor" I selected in user profile.  I'll try changing that back to "Standard."  The notice says it may take 20 minutes for changes to take effect.  I'll try the spell check feature again after that.

BRN..

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 20:38 In reply to

Hi, I see spell checking working in forums now, but on only one of two systems with similar configuration. I had changed Content editor from Enhanced to Standard, then to Plain Text (but hard to see how that could effect two systems differently). I have OF site White Listed on both. In any event, I know your enabling of FF spell checking feature can work here. I'll take a closer look at FF setting for each using about:config utility. If I find something, I'll post the results here - but otherwise the issue is resolved; and I'll mark your enabled post as the answer. Thanks admin, BRN..
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service