in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Data Mapping Diagrams for Data Warehouse Design with ORM

Last post Sun, Nov 1 2009 13:10 by Ken Evans. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 28 2009 19:07

Data Mapping Diagrams for Data Warehouse Design with ORM

There is a paper on Data Mapping Diagrams for Data Warehouse Design with UML refer http://www.springerlink.com/content/rtbn1f28w9k30r7k/

Is there anything similar for ORM?

I've basically found ORM superior in this area because of its low level granularity.

Filed under:
  • Thu, Oct 29 2009 7:32 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Re: Data Mapping Diagrams for Data Warehouse Design with ORM

Your link shows just the first page of the paper so right now I will just comment on the following quote from the first page:

"..we present a disciplined framework for the modeling of the relationships between sources and targets in different levels of granularity (including coarse mappings at the database and table levels to detailed inter-attribute mappings at the attribute level). "

Maybe I misunderstand the intents of the authors but my first reaction is that the concept of mapping the relationships between sources and targets "in different levels of granularity" may be flawed. 

I'm trying to get hold of a copy of the paper. When I do, I'll make another post.

Ken

• Thu, Oct 29 2009 17:29 In reply to

Thanks. 

The same author has "Data Warehousing Design with UML" and within his Thesis he has "Data Mapping" as Chapter 7

http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~slujan/files/thesis.pdf

With my experience with Data Mapping using ORM,  I have found that ORM is particularly useful for "Dividing Mapping" refer Figure 7.10 in his thesis.

It would be great if someone could refer me to the use of ORM in Data Warehousing and particularly Data Mapping.

• Sun, Nov 1 2009 13:10 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Thanks for the link to the paper.
    As I'm sure that you know, it is well over 300 pages and so it will take me some time to complete my review.

However, I have looked at Figure 7.10 and the surrounding text and my initial reaction to the paper is that it is based on some flawed assumptions.
    In my 2008 MSc dissertation project, I spent quite a lot of time investigating the differences between UML and ORM.

Ambiguity is one of the main problems of UML. For example, UML  guru Martin.Fowler said: “…the UML is so complex,  that the standard is often open to multiple interpretations. Even UML leaders who reviewed this book would disagree on interpretation of the UML Standard.”  Fowler (2004:13)

If you Google "Problems with UML" , you will see what I mean. So it seems to me that the term "UML standard" is an oxymoron.

I know that several people are using ORM for Data Warehousing and Data Mapping, and ETL etc. Some of these folks may be attending the ORM 2009 workshop in Portugal next week so I will discuss this with the assembled ORM experts and see what they have to say.  

Ken

Reference:

Fowler, M. (2004), UML Distilled, Third Edition: A Brief Guide to the Standard Object Modeling Language, Boston, MA, Pearson Education Ltd.
    Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service