in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

VisioModeler Fix for Win 7 and Vista

Last post Wed, Jun 10 2015 5:47 by Joshua T Cowper. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 29 2010 2:22

• David
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 16 2010
    • Australia
    • Posts 8

VisioModeler Fix for Win 7 and Vista

This is a re-post from an IT education list I belong to. I tested it and it solved my problem. VisioModeler does not work in Windows 7 and Vista, however there is a fix. 1. Download and install VisioModeler from: http://download.microsoft.com/download/visio2000enterprise/ORMtool/3.1/WIN98/EN-US/MSVM31.EXE 2. Download this DLL: ftp://ftp.mackichan.com/download/sh33w32.dll 3. Go to the VisioModeler program directory (like C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft VisioModeler 3.1\Program or C:\Program Files\Microsoft VisioModeler 3.1\Program) and overwrite SH33W32.DLL with the file you downloaded in step 2. 4. Run VisioModeler. Mine worked fine at this point, but if it fails to run, proceed to step 5, otherwise, finish here. 5. Download and run shfix.exe from: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/229251.htm 6. Extract shw32.dll from the executable. There are only two files in there. 7. Rename the DLL to sh33w32.dll 8. Go to the VisioModeler program directory (like C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft VisioModeler 3.1\Program or C:\Program Files\Microsoft VisioModeler 3.1\Program) and overwrite SH33W32.DLL with the file you extracted in step 6 and renamed in step 7. 9. Run VisioModeler. Credit for these instructions goes to Luke Vear, a student in grade 12 Virtual Schooling IPT (who actually made an EXE to do the patching for you - you can download it from http://www.acromos.com/vssipt/VisioModelerFix.zip if you wish, but it's not required). The first 4 steps got VisioModeler working on my PC at home running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Regards, Richard Kelly Stanthorpe SHS Virtual Schooling Service
  • Thu, Jul 29 2010 5:28 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Re: VisioModeler Fix for Win 7 and Vista

This is great news!

This morning, I tested the procedure with Windows 7 Professional and it ran after step 4.

I reformatted your post and put it as a download in the Library>Tools>VisioModeler section.

Thanks fenton

• Thu, Jul 29 2010 19:18 In reply to

• David
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Australia
    • Posts 8

Thanks for the formatting Ken, It looks good. I can't take the credit for the instructions though! I just re-posted from an education list I belong to. A teacher and year 12 student actually discovered the fix and documented it. It works beautifully for us at my education institution. I asked the network administrators to patch the DLL on our network copy and students load it across from a shared drive and it works a treat on all computers in the labs running both XP and Win 7. Students have followed the instructions on their laptops under Vista too. Cheers David Fenton Ô¿Ô
    Filed under:
  • Sun, Aug 29 2010 7:46 In reply to

• AYAH2010
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 29 2010
    • Posts 3

Hello am trying to install visio modeler in vista, I download it as step 1 but it doest responding ... how can i fix this to continue the remaining steps? thanks
  • Sun, Aug 29 2010 10:33 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Are you running Vista as an Administrator?

Ken

• Sun, Aug 29 2010 10:45 In reply to

• AYAH2010
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 3

look at this image

http://rapidshare.com/files/415846817/visio.jpg

my installation stop here and didnt continue,,, al the time <Not Responding>

• Sun, Aug 29 2010 11:46 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

FYI: the tool we have discussed in this thread is called "VisioModeler". (all one word)
    This tool has no technical relationship with the Visio tool.

I looked at the image and I have two questions.

1. Who is "rapidshare.com"?

2. Why are you trying to download the image "visio.jpg" from them?

Ken

• Sun, Aug 29 2010 13:46 In reply to

• AYAH2010
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 3

aha

as i see in google visiomodeler is the same as visio 2000 toolm,,, but if you know that they are different... am trying to download and install visiomodeler not visiio 2000 tool

am not trying to download the image from rapidshare, its only a website am upload it the image that display the error i had when installing visiomodeler

I just put it to exaplain my problem when install visio modeler... its always stop here as shown in the image

• Sun, Aug 29 2010 14:15 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Visio 2000 is not the same tool as VisioModeler.

Have you downloaded and followed the the instructions in the Library? http://www.ormfoundation.org/files/folders/visomodeler/default.aspx

What is the name of the VisioModeler install file that you are using? 

If you want us to look at your image, I suggest that you upload it to this website by posting it in-line with your post as explained in our help files.

Ken

• Fri, Sep 10 2010 13:09 In reply to

• kosala
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 9 2010
    • Posts 1

Thnx So much thi
  • Sat, Jul 23 2011 14:45 In reply to

• iwalewa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 23 2011
    • Posts 1

Using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, the Setup.exe will not run and setting compatibility mode did not make any difference. I ran did setup on Windows XP and copy the Microsoft Visiomodeler 3.1 folder to the PC running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visiomodeler 3.1). Replaced SH33W32.DLL per above instruction and I was able to run Visomdlr.EXE without any problem. Thanks for the tip above.
  • Thu, Jun 14 2012 20:13 In reply to

• David
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Australia
    • Posts 8

G'day again Ken, After all this time I have recently been having trouble with VM loading. It just hangs. After a reinstall and dropping that DLL in the appropriate place, it seems to get going again, but randomly stops loading. Once it starts everything is fine, but at random times it simply will not start - just sits at the splash screen staring at me. I discovered that putting the DLL in this location helped for one occasion, but hasn't since. %windir%\system32\dllcache Just wondering whether you've heard any other odd reports. I think there have been some windows updates that might be interfering with it somehow. I'm still using Visiomodeler under XP in my office, but all our labs are Win 7 and they seem to be working intermittently too. It's very weird. Cheers David :-)
  • Fri, Jun 15 2012 5:03 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Hi David,

Thanks for the notification but this is the first that I have heard of this.
    As you know, VisioModeler is "Not Supported" by Microsoft so maybe the Win 7 updates are signalling that VisioModeler is coming to the end of the line with the mainstream operating system.

Time to consider a move to NORMA?

Ken 
  • Wed, May 29 2013 17:07 In reply to

• cmarshall
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 29 2013
    • Colorado, USA
    • Posts 2

I have been using InfoModeler since the original Asymetrix version and have been dismayed at the thought of eventually not being able to use VisioModeler anymore.

Thanks a million for whoever figured this out!

Steps 1 - 4 made things run for me under Windows 7 Professional x64. I didn't try to run the VisioModeler setup, as another post indicated it won't run on 64-bit Windows 7. I just copied the folder under Program Files from my old XP box.

• Thu, Jun 4 2015 7:20 In reply to

• cmarshall
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 29 2013
    • Colorado, USA
    • Posts 2

cmarshall:
    another post indicated it won't run on 64-bit Windows 7

Update - I was just able to run the install program on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit and put in the fix and it appears to work just fine. The install program did appear to hang and report "not responding" at least twice, but by just waiting it eventually completed successfully.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service