in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Is Mandatory dot position

Last post Sat, Dec 4 2010 6:02 by Anonymous. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 26 2010 16:20

Is Mandatory dot position

When I attempt to change the position of the mandatory dot by using Tools>Options>ORM Designer>Appearance>Mandatory Dot Placement from RoleBoxEnd to ObjectShapeEnd, nothing changes. This may be a problem with my installation because the mandatory dot placement does change when I open the .orm file on another machine. Any ideas as to the cause?

Richard

• Sat, Nov 27 2010 16:27 In reply to

Re: Is Mandatory dot position

Hi Richard

Please advise the build number of NORMA, and the Visual Studio version (2005 or 2008) that you are using.

Cheers

Terry

• Sat, Nov 27 2010 19:15 In reply to

Hi Richard,

Do you have other options on as well? Specifically, mandatory dot placement is ignored if ER learning mode is turned on.

-Matt

• Tue, Nov 30 2010 15:49 In reply to

Answer

Ahaa - Insight! Matt was right. As a matter of visual preference, I had the ER learning mode set for crows foot only. Once I turned ER learning mode to "Off", the mandatory dot placement selection started working. While I will probably change it back to the role box side and crows foot, I will at least know what to look for next time. Matt and Terry - Thanks!!

:-)

• Wed, Dec 1 2010 3:00 In reply to

Hi Richard,

I'm glad that fixed it. I didn't feel that combining two different notations (various ER forms and the ORM dot) into one overlapped notation would be appropriate or help with the 'learning' nature of ER Learning Mode.

The description text for the Binary FactType Multiplicity Display option does indicates that the mandatory dot position is ignored when this is enabled. However, I do not have the corresponding comment on the Mandatory Dot Placement property. I'll add that for the next checkin, even though the options dialog layout (which I don't see a way to control) leaves very little space for description display so it is easy to miss.

I'm a little surprised to hear about users leaving this option on. As the option category name implies, I meant it as a transitional piece to make the diagrams more readable for ER-literates while they learned ORM. The original request came from Gordon Everest, but the implementation timing was totally selfish (I was taking one of Terry's masters level modeling classes and had to produce correct ER diagrams). Finding the right algorithm for spider-crawling the crowsfoot lines around rounded corners turned out to be mathematically entertaining (I expected the white board full of algrebraic equations to collapse down to something reasonable, but nothing cancelled) and resulted in most of the work.

-Matt

Current description for Binary FactType Multiplicity Display: The display mode for overlaying Entity Relationship multiplicity display on role connectors attached to binary fact types. The 'Mandatory Dot Placement' option is ignored if this is enabled.

Adjusted description for Mandatory Dot Placement: Specify an end of the role connector to place dots for simple mandatory constraints. This option is ignored if an Entity Relationship Learning Mode multiplicity display option is enabled for binary fact types.

• Sat, Dec 4 2010 6:02 In reply to

Matthew Curland:
    Finding the right algorithm for spider-crawling the crowsfoot lines around rounded corners turned out to be mathematically entertaining (I expected the white board full of algrebraic equations to collapse down to something reasonable, but nothing cancelled) and resulted in most of the work.

Is it that much harder with a crows-foot than the straight line tracking resulting from tracking the head of a subtype arrow? As implemented by me for example in the bottom 70 lines of http://dataconstellation.com/aprimo/javascript/orm.js? I only had to write 27 lines of code myself, the rest just translated into Javascript. It was amusing, but only a couple of hours work including testing.

I think that rather than trying to maintain fixed angles for the crows-foot, I'd just identify two points a certain distance away on the rounded-rect and draw line segments to them.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service