in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Highlight Selected Relationship in Relational View

Last post Tue, Feb 8 2011 15:49 by Matthew Curland. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 15:13

• JimLudden
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008
    • Taos, New Mexico, USA
    • Posts 75

Highlight Selected Relationship in Relational View

It seems that if I select a single relationship in Relational View that the color of the line representing that relationship changes slightly.

If it is not too hard, could you make the change in color quite a bit more obvious.

I find that, with a larger model, the original Relational View is really messy. I don't have a method for laying out the tables, except to reduce the total length of relationship lines. I like to trace a relationship and move tables closer to those related tables by following the relationship lines. This would be easier if I could more easily distinguish the line that I wish to trace from all the other purple lines on the screen.

Thanks - Jim

• Tue, Feb 8 2011 15:49 In reply to

Re: Highlight Selected Relationship in Relational View

Hi Jim,

I added overrides for highlighting in the ORM diagram very early in the project and could apply those here as well, although I don't think I can get much more contrast than the defaults in this case with a color shifting algorithm. You'd need an entirely different color, not just the Magenta-to-HotPink morph you get now.

Even with an entirely different color, on a densely packed diagram the relationship lines are often partially obscured so even a different color would be hard to trace through. There is a tooltip on these, however, that indicates column names. I could easily extend this to also mention the table name. I think that would be more helpful than a color change. Armed with the opposite table name, you can directly select the shape using the Model Browser.

Does extending the tooltips sound like a reasonable alternative?

-Matt

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service