in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Highlight "Select on Diagram"

Last post Mon, Sep 22 2008 11:11 by JimLudden. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 17 2008 13:33

• JimLudden
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008
    • Taos, New Mexico, USA
    • Posts 75

Highlight "Select on Diagram"

When I have a relatively large diagram (>30 icons) and I wish to find a particular object (or fact) I use the "Select on Diagram" menu item. However, the selected icon is sometimes quite hard to find.

Could you use color to identify the selected icon in this situation?

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Sep 17 2008 14:15 In reply to

Re: Highlight "Select on Diagram"

The model element is highlighted in a similar way as it would be if you selected it manually.I personally find this is enough, but I agree it would make it easier to spot if we added some other highlighting, such as color. I'll discuss this with Matt to see what is feasible.

Cheers

Terry

• Wed, Sep 17 2008 20:19 In reply to

Jim, something like this is certainly doable. I'd prefer to do a stronger version of the 'luminosity modification' we currently do on a mouse over as this leaves us immune to system color changes, different constraint renderings, and the like.. The question becomes how long to keep the highlight? Until the next click outside the shape? Until the next click anywhere?

I could also move the mouse over the shape. This would tell you exactly where it is, but is a little annoying if you select primarily with the mouse, and doesn't work on remote desktops. This behavior could be optional.

I'm also strongly considering adding an 'ORM Diagram Spy' toolwindow that could be used as an alternative to changing the primary selection. This would be a view into an existing diagram, but would not change the current tab selection or diagram position. You would have the option to change either the primary selection, or the 'ORM Diagram Spy' selection. This came up after I added hyperlinks from the verbalization browser (will be in the next drop), which lets you select a column and jump directly to any of the related FactTypes and ObjectTypes. Currently, this changes your selected diagram, but a Diagram Spy window would let you keep your Relational View selection while modifying the underlying ORM model in the diagram spy. Any comments on the plan?

-Matt

• Mon, Sep 22 2008 11:11 In reply to

• JimLudden
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008
    • Taos, New Mexico, USA
    • Posts 75

>>>how long to keep the highlight?   __Once we've see the icon it does not need to be highlighted any longer, so I'd vote for the next click to drop the highlight.

>>>I could also move the mouse over the shape.    __I think this would be too 'busy'.

>>>I'm also strongly considering adding an 'ORM Diagram Spy' toolwindow   __I tend to go for simplicity, unless there is a big advantage.

>>>hyperlinks from the verbalization browser which lets you select a column and jump directly to any of the related FactTypes and ObjectTypes. __ (all the more need for improved highlighting)   I'm not sure that an extra 'view' window would help, but some users might find it very helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service