in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Adding new datatypes

Last post 07-05-2011 5:42 by lozdown. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-01-2011 10:29

• lozdown
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-06-2011
    • Rugby
    • Posts 7

Adding new datatypes

Hi,

I am using NORMA to create a SQLServer database with a hybrid SQL/XML structure (using NORMA to create the SQL schema and the XML schema I need). Is there anyway I can adapt the configuration of NORMA to include a datatype XML, that can be selected in the ORM and will propagate through to the SQLServer generator?

Thanks

Laurie

Regards
    Laurie
  • 07-03-2011 3:24 In reply to

Re: Adding new datatypes

Hi Laurie,

We don't currently have a facility to generate the XML structure for you. This would allow you to decide which facts types were mapped to XML and which to relational structures.

The only thing you can do at this point is to essentially hijack another datatype to declare a generated field as XML. See the previous thread http://www.ormfoundation.org/forums/t/601.aspx for directions on adding uniqueidentifier to an alternate generator and follow the links from there. This should at least let you declare an xml data type, even if it doesn't declare any structure for it.

-Matt 

PS The generator registry settings are discussed as being under HKLM\Software\ORM Solutions in the linked responses. However, VS (and NORMA) are 32-bit apps and appear under a registry branch on a 64 bit system, where you need under HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\ORM Solutions. Also make sure you get your VS version correct.

• 07-04-2011 9:06 In reply to

• lozdown
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-06-2011
    • Rugby
    • Posts 7

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm using VS2010 and latest NORMA.  I've followed through the above thread and added a new key as below. However I cannot get the additional entry to show in the ORM Generator Settings Dialog by any of Restart of VS2010, New Project, New ORM File, modify Settings on existing .ORM file.  I would be grateful for any hints about where to look/what to do!

Thanks

Laurie 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORM Solutions\Natural ORM Architect for Visual Studio 2010\Generators\DDILtoXSQLServer]
    "Type"="XSLT"
    "OfficialName"="DDILtoXSQLServer"
    "DisplayName"="DDIL to XSQL Server"
    "DisplayDescription"="Transforms DDIL to SQL Server-dialect + XML SQL."
    "FileExtension"=".SQLServer.sql"
    "SourceInputFormat"="DDIL"
    "ProvidesOutputFormat"="SQL_SQLServer"
    "TransformUri"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Neumont\\DIL\\Transforms\\DDILtoXSQLServer.xslt"

Regards
    Laurie
  • 07-04-2011 12:19 In reply to

Hi  Laurie,

A couple of things to check:

1. The Dec 2011 NORMA had a pretty serious bug in this area (setup was putting items under the VS2010 registry key, but the generator was looking for them under VS2008). Did you follow earlier instructions to copy the registry keys across as a hack fix (Note this is fixed in the June 2011 release, which you can get now on Sourceforge and ORM Foundation when Ken gets to it.) If you're still on the Dec2010 release, then you'll need this under the VS2008. 
    2. Make sure your data is with the other generators in the registry. If it isn't there, then make sure you aren't on a 64-bit box, which requires Wow6432Node after SOFTWARE in the registry path.
    3. Your output format (ProvidesOutputFormat) is the same as the standard SQL output. This means that the SQL Server format in the generator settings dialog will have two generators under it when you expand it (yours and the standard one). Have you expanded this entry.
    4. If you want to see this top-level instead of as an option for SQL_SQLServer generation, then use a different ProvidesOutputFormat.

-Matt

• 07-05-2011 4:29 In reply to

• lozdown
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-06-2011
    • Rugby
    • Posts 7

Hi Matt,

I had forgotten this. Now working fine. Many thanks.

Matthew Curland:

The Dec 2011 NORMA had a pretty serious bug in this area (setup was putting items under the VS2010 registry key, but the generator was looking for them under VS2008). Did you follow earlier instructions to copy the registry keys across as a hack fix (Note this is fixed in the June 2011 release, which you can get now on Sourceforge and ORM Foundation when Ken gets to it.) If you're still on the Dec2010 release, then you'll need this under the VS2008.

BTW The June 2011 Release does not include a VS2010 installation. Can I reuse the setup.bat file from the Dec 2011 release?

Many thanks again - great tool!

Laurie

Regards
    Laurie
  • 07-05-2011 5:27 In reply to

lozdown:
    BTW The June 2011 Release does not include a VS2010 installation.

Hi Laurie,

Please will you clarify this comment.

FYI:
    The latest VS2010 release (June 2011 CTP - Published 4 July ) can be downloaded from the library (Library> Tools>Norma - The Software!)
    This version installed without problems on my Win 7 64bit VS 2010 Pro setup.

Ken

• 07-05-2011 5:42 In reply to

• lozdown
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-06-2011
    • Rugby
    • Posts 7

Ken,

My mistake, sorry to waste your time, I completely missed the 2010 installation! Please ignore my comment.

Laurie

Regards
    Laurie
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
© 2008-2014 The ORM Foundation: A UK not-for-profit organisation -------------- Terms of Service