in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

VS 2005 & VS 2008 - ORM file compatibility

Last post Tue, Jun 24 2008 18:22 by Ken Evans. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 24 2008 12:24

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

VS 2005 & VS 2008 - ORM file compatibility

I have just created an ORM file with VS 2005.
    But when I try to import the file into VS 2008 I get the following error message.
    Am I doing something wrong or do the two systems produce incompatible files?

Ken

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 13:45 In reply to

Re: VS 2005 & VS 2008 - ORM file compatibility

No, the two systems have the same file format. The only known issue between the two is that model notes draw differently in the two systems. This is a function of the different DSL framework versions used in the two systems. I doubt the file will reload in the 05 environment either.

We've seen this a couple of times, but haven't managed to get a reliable repro case. The fix is to open the file in the xml editor. To fix it:

• Open the .orm file in the xml editor. Use the File/Open/File... dialog. Instead of clicking the 'Open' button, click the down arrow on the right edge of the Open button, select 'Open With...', and choose 'XML Editor' from the list.
    • Find the missing identifier. If you open the Error List (View\Error List), then you will see the missing id listed in the error list. This is most likely in a ref="_IDVALUE" attribute in the file.
    • Copy the element so you can show it to me.
    • Delete the entire element that contains the attribute
    • Save the file

The file should now open cleanly in the ORM Designer.

On a side note, I generally turn on the 'Miscellaneous Files' project in the solution explorer. To do this, open the Tools/Options dialog and select the Environment/Documents page. You'll see a 'Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer' option. Check it, then set the '## items save in the Miscellaneous files project' to something other than 0. Now, if a file fails to open, you will be able to see it in the Solution Explorer. Right click the file and and choose 'Open With...' here.

Hopefully we can track what's doing this, I've seen it 3 or 4 times, which means the chances of you hitting it again are slim. I don't know if that is any consolation, but it's the best I can do until we get a reproducible set of actions.

-Matt

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 14:35 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info and clarification.
    I have sent the "offending file" with your explanation to Terry so you now have two of us who are trying to do the conversion.

Ken

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 15:35 In reply to

You can probably disregard my earlier reply on this. Sorry for the red herring.

I scanned the source for the specific GUID and found that it matches the 'ORMAbstractionToConceptualDatabaseBridge' model, meaning that one of the extension Dll's is failing to correctly bind.This is pointing to an installation issue. On the machine in question, can you create a new model and successfully turn on the relational mapping? How about a  save/reload of that dummy model? If VS2008 appears to be working fine in this test scenario, and your original file reloads in VS2005, then there's something fishy going on and I probably need to look at the file. We may want to take this one offline until we can track the problem.

-Matt

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 16:42 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Here is the procedure I just followed:

1: Create a new .orm model (Windows XP / VS 2005)
    2: Save
    3: Close down VS 2005
    4: Re-open the file
    All OK so far.

5: Save new .orm model to a memory stick
    6: Plug the memory stick into a Vista Home Premium/ VS 2008 machine
    7: Try to open file
    8: Error below appeared.

9: Plugged the memory stick back into the XP /VS 2005 machine.
    10: Re-open file with no problems.

Ken

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 16:53 In reply to

Can you turn on the relational extension in a new .orm file on your VS2008 install?

-Matt

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 17:03 In reply to

Hi Ken,

I think it would be important to make clear the configuration of your system(s).  Do you have VS 2005 and VS 2008 installed on the same computer; and is that the configuration you are using for the conversions?  VS 2008 allows you to select the .Net framework version for a project (for compatibility with previous versions), but there could be issues with having both versions on the same computer.  If you did a normal upgrade from VS 2005 to VS 2008, when you installed VS 2008, that shouldn't be a concern.  Even if you have both on one, are you using virtualization to isolate them?  I'd also make clear (though it sounds like you have already), if you are talking about importing an .orm file, or opening a VS 2005 solution/project in VS 2008.

Until recently, I haven't even counted on ORM models created with an earlier build of the tool to work correctly with a new build (just took that as part of the tool development process), let alone models created with different versions of VS or .Net.  Going forward, this will be important; as even testbed models become less trivial.  I'm sure there will also be calls for other types of porting as well.  It will be interesting to see how this issue is resolved.

BRN..

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 17:21 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

On my Vista Home Premium/ VS 2008 installation, I created a new fact and then tried to turn on the relational mapping.
    The image below shows you the result.
    When I cheked the relational ... option, the system crashed.

Well Sherlock, we seem to be making progress.Big Smile

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 17:38 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Hi Brian

Good points that you make.
    Here are the configurations of the two machines on which I am running NORMA.

1: Dell Precison 390 with 4GB RAM and two 74GB 10000 RPM disks running in Raid 1 configuration.
    XP Pro with Visual Studio 2005 Professional and the latest version of NORMA (as posted to the library on 9 June).

2: Dell 1525 Laptop with 4GM RAM & standard fast disk.
    Vista Home Premium with Visual Studio 2008 Standard and the latest version of NORMA (as posted to the library on 9 June).
    This was a clean installation - No NORMA on this machine before this version.

So: Both machines are running the same release of NORMA (except for the VS2005/VS2008 differences) 

I do my development work on the Dell 390 because its got a lot more power than the laptop - and its got a 24" dual screen setup. 
    The laptop only has a 20" secondary screen because the laptop won't drive a 24 inch screen.

Ken

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 17:52 In reply to

Answer

As I suspected, definitely an installation issues. I'm not having problems with a setup install. Anyone else having problems please chime in.

The following registry information is associated with the file in question

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Neumont\ORM Architect\Extensions\http://schemas.neumont.edu/ORM/Bridge/2007-06/ORMAbstractionToConceptualDatabase]
    "Class"="Neumont.Tools.ORMAbstractionToConceptualDatabaseBridge.ORMAbstractionToConceptualDatabaseBridgeDomainModel"
    "Assembly"="Neumont.Tools.ORMAbstractionToConceptualDatabaseBridge.VS2008, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=957d5b7d5e79e25f"
    "CodeBase"="C:\\Program Files\\Neumont\\ORM Architect for Visual Studio 2008\\bin\\Extensions\\Neumont.Tools.ORMAbstractionToConceptualDatabaseBridge.VS2008.dll"

The C:\Program Files\Neumont\ORM Architect for Visual Studio 2008\bin\Extensions\Neumont.Tools.ORMAbstractionToConceptualDatabaseBridge.VS2008.dll file should have size 356,352

You might be picking up an old file from the GAC. To fix this (with VS shut down):

1. Open a 'Visual Studio 2008 Command Prompt' (under the tools menu on your VS2008 Start menu items)
    2. cd C:\Windows\Assembly\GAC_MSIL
    3. gacutil /u Neumont.Tools.ORMAbstractionToConceptualDatabaseBridge.VS2008
    4. Verify the file uninstalled (dir Neumont.Tools.ORMAbstractionToConceptualDatabaseBridge.VS2008 should do it)
    5. cd "C:\Program Files\Neumont\ORM Architect for Visual Studio 2008\bin\Extensions"
    6. gacutil /i Neumont.Tools.ORMAbstractionToConceptualDatabaseBridge.VS2008.dll

Or you try a full uninstall/reinstall.

-Matt

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 17:59 In reply to

The VS2005/VS2008 should be file and registry independent. There are no overlaps except for the provided xml schema files, which are only used if you open the .ORM files in the XML editor (we use embedded versions of the schema files for validation to innoculate ourselves against 'smart' users doing things to the on-disk files).

You should not have any problems moving files to newer NORMA versions. Over the course of the project, we've actually gone through 4 main file formats already, with additional format changes on extension models. We have a good import mechanism and will not release anything that doesn't open the old file formats. Having said that, we are not considering an extension to a schema to be on the same level as a file format change. Therefore, if you move to previous version you may have to hold the shift key down on open to skip the schema validation. Recent examples are the PreferredIdentificationPath attribute and the ObjectifiedUnaryRole element, which will not load (but are safely ignore) in earlier tools.

-Matt

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 18:22 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Hi Matt,

After uninstalling & reinstalling NORMA & PLiX on the Vista machine , I can now open the file in Vista.and the relational mapping features are there. Just as it says on the tin!

Thus I categorize this as "Problem gone away!"

Thanks for your help.

Ken 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service