in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Common Models

Last post Tue, Oct 27 2009 18:38 by Tyler Young. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 23 2009 11:17

• Tyler Young
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 27 2009
    • South Jordan, Utah, USA
    • Posts 49

Common Models

First of all, thanks to Ken for setting up this new section of the boards!

In my part time I enjoy making websites, and very often the projects I want to do are for specialized domains. Over the years I've done various (amateur) models of climate zones, a talent agency, message boards, microarrays for proteomic expression, and numerous other things. Often, the projects have overlapping areas. While NORMA doesn't yet support the combining of separate models, it might be of value to the community to share our experiences and some of the commonly used models that we've come up with.

To start us out I'll be posting several models that I've worked on over the years. The search through my archives just finished, and it looks like I've made a total of 81 models. Go me! Most of them are trivial bits of fluff, but we can look at them as a starting point until other people want to share too. In the meantime, they're available for discussion and anyone is free to download and modify as they see fit. All I ask is that you upload the results of your modification so that we can grow as a community. Surely there's some sort of open-source license that's appropriate for this... any suggestions? Once I figure that out, consider them all released under that license. :)

So join the fun! Post pieces of models that you commonly use, and let's start working on a community library that we can all benefit from!

• Fri, Oct 23 2009 12:54 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Re: Common Models

Wow!  81 models is quite a few!
    I'm really looking forward to seeing your models. 

What do you think about using a standard format for all models?
    For example a Word document with the following sections:

Domain: e.g. Talent Agency 
    Scope:  What is included and what is not?
    Purpose: Why was this model built? What are the benefits?
    Conceptual Model: ORM2 graphical image (e.g. annotated using an image editor and saved as .png).
    Logical Model: The relational table structure
    Physical Model: The DDL File for SQL Server
    Narrative: Comments that would help a reader to interpret the model.

In addition
    it would be useful to post the .orm file using the latest release of NORMA.  

Then we need to define a process for change & version management... 

Please feel free to suggest changes to the aforementioned structure.

Ken

• Tue, Oct 27 2009 18:38 In reply to

• Tyler Young
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 27 2009
    • South Jordan, Utah, USA
    • Posts 49

Re: Common Models

I like your idea for the details document describing the model, and posted one for my talent agency model. Since I'm not used to posting my writing in a public forum (aside from Facebook updates), the style is probably lacking polish. Don't be afraid to critique-- feedback is necessary for improvement. One of these days I may want to write a real paper of one sort or another, and this is good practice.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service