in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Non Visual Studio version of Norma

Last post Tue, Dec 8 2015 6:50 by Matthew Curland. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 6 2015 15:24

Non Visual Studio version of Norma

Is there likely to be a standalone or non Visual Studio version of Norma?

I have been very interested in ORM for a number of years now and I still use the  unsupported Viso Modeller tool (used with WINE on a Linux box). However this is now getting long in the tooth and I would like to know if there are plans to have Norma available on other platforms/environments as I feel that this methodology is too valuable to be restricted to one development environment.

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Dec 7 2015 19:51 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Re: Non Visual Studio version of Norma

Hi Hugh,

I agree with you about the value of ORM.

However, as you may know, NORMA is Visual Studio extension and uses many of the facilities built into Visual Studio.
    I'm fairly sure that the effort required to port NORMA to another platform would be "substantial" and I don't know of any plans to do this. 
    Ken

• Tue, Dec 8 2015 6:50 In reply to

Re: Non Visual Studio version of Norma

Hi Hugh,

NORMA is tightly integrated with the DSL Tools framework in Visual Studio. At the time the project was started (almost a decade ago) we also looked at web-based frameworks (there was no chance, the browsers simply weren't ready yet) and EMF in Eclipse. The big downfall on EMF was that it lacked the 'deleting' notification, which allows a graph of to-be-deleted elements to be examined while they are still attached to the model. This DSL feature was fundamental to enable incremental model validation.

What has changed since then:

1. Visual Studio now has a community edition, so you can use NORMA (2013 or 2015) without the professional version of Visual Studio. This will work in the Windows VM of your choice on Mac or Linux.
    2. Web browsers are much more capable (HTML5, SVG, JavaScript speed, etc.). For example, the .orm file viewers at http://www.ormsolutions.com/tools/orm.aspx (display one diagram at a time) and http://www.ormsolutions.com/tools/ormPrint.aspx (all diagrams) let you look at the ORM diagrams in NORMA files on the browser. There are also directions on the site for using these viewers to display .orm files hosted on your own servers.
    Would you rather see your models running in additional development environments, or be able to collaboratively model in a web-hosted environment?

-Matt 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service