in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

SBVR - How are the instances of a concept referred by way of other related things?

Last post Mon, Jan 11 2010 16:29 by Josue Portal. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 6 2010 17:35

SBVR - How are the instances of a concept referred by way of other related things?

I've been looking for the SBVR entries relative to identifying things by way of other related things. There are enough definitions regarding reference schemes for concepts but nothing like: ‘thing identifies thing’ or ‘thing refers thing’ Am I missing something out here? Any helps would be appreciated,

Josue

Filed under:
  • Sat, Jan 9 2010 0:49 In reply to

Re: SBVR - How are the instances of a concept referred by way of other related things?

Dear Josue, Thanks for your interest in ORM and how it relates to SBVR. I'm not sure I understand your question, but reference (identification) in ORM is handled basically as follows. Values (lexical objects) are constants that identify themselves, e.g. the country code 'AU'. Entities (nonlexical objects) are identified by definite descriptions (e.g. the Country that has CountryCode 'AU') expressible via a reference scheme that maps each instance of the entity type (e.g. Country) onto one value (or multiple values if the reference scheme is compound) via the reference relationship(s) involved. For example, using the reference scheme Australia(.code), the entity Australia maps to the country code 'AU' as an instance of the reference type that is the binary relationship Country has CountryCode. Hope this helps Terry
  • Mon, Jan 11 2010 16:29 In reply to

Re: SBVR - How are the instances of a concept referred by way of other related things?

Dear Dr. Halpin, Thank you very much for your very illustrative response. Yes, it did help. The clauses I was looking for weren’t needed. Just, the fact type roles that are used by reference schemes must be properly populated. Best regards, Josue
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service