in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

ORM Tools - Generators

Last post Fri, Jan 10 2014 17:39 by RichardRickard. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 10 2014 14:11

ORM Tools - Generators

I am a long-time user of Visio for Enterprise Architects and have been searching for an upgrade or replacement tool for a long time.  I only discovered NORMA yesterday and was very excited.  According to the Tools sidebar on the Home page it appeared to be exactly what I wanted so I spent several hours installing VS 2012, down-loading NORMA etc.  I have been able to reverse-engineer an ORM diagram from my Db project but I cannot find any way to generate entity-relationship diagrams or DDL.  I've just been reading some Forum articles which seen to indicate that such functionality does not yet exist.  So, I am quite confused:  There appears to be a major contradiction between what's advertised on the Home - Tools page and what actually exists.  I don't know which is correct but I assume the Forum articles must be because they're quite recent and I cannot find that functionality anywhere.  Why the misleading info the Home page sidebar?  I am very disappointed this morning.  I was really looking forward to playing with (using) my new toy today but it seems my shiny new car has no wheels!!

Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, Jan 10 2014 15:21 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Re: ORM Tools - Generators

Hi Richard,

The generators are explained in NORMA Tutorial 1

You can also see how it works in the experimental video I made.

Please let me know if  you have any more questions.

Ken 

• Fri, Jan 10 2014 15:46 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

RichardRickard:
    I've just been reading some Forum articles which seen to indicate that such functionality does not yet exist.  So, I am quite confused

As an additional note, the Forum posts that you have read are probably the ones that discuss an "ER" output. I suspect that the authors of these posts are using the term "ER" to mean something different from "Relational"  (e.g. a view using the Barker notation).

NORMA uses an "Extension" to create a 5NF "relational view" of an object role model.
    To enable the relational view, you have to right-click on the drawing surface and then click on the "Extension manager" option.
    This will take you to a dialog box shown below.
    If you click the checkboxes shown in the Extension Manager dialog box, a 5NF relational view of your object-role model will appear as a new drawing surface page.

Ken

• Fri, Jan 10 2014 17:39 In reply to

Ken,

As another writer noted, you just have to follow the tutorial steps "exactly".  I had watched the tutorial but overlooked one critical step.  I've got it working now.  Thanks for the help. 

Richard

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service