in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Documentation and How-To

Last post Fri, Feb 8 2008 15:16 by Kevin M. Owen. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 27 2006 2:00

• Tyler
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 8 2008
    • Posts 22

Documentation and How-To

I'm starting this forum as an RFD (Request For Documentation).... in this initial release I wrote a tutorial on how to create models in NORMA.  There are other things that need to be covered as well.  At the moment I'm getting ready to do a tutorial on transforming the model to a relational database schema.
    What other topics would people like to see covered?  What areas in the current documentation need to be added or clarified?  If have any feedback or suggestions for the documentation, this is the place to let your voice be heard.

Thanks!

Tyler Young
  • Mon, Feb 27 2006 14:24 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

RE: Documentation and How-To

You need:
    "How to install"
    Nothing fancy, but covering the issues that caught me out at least: 
    1: The installer appears not to complete.
    2: It is far from intuitively obvious that one must use "File>New>File to get to the dialog box that shows the ORM template.
    3: an explanation of the varous windows.
    Note: It would be nice if the tool started up in a "standard configuration" where the various windows were docked in specific places. 
    Then you need to explain how to create a simple fact.
    Hope this helps
    Ken
  • Mon, Feb 27 2006 14:48 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Correction to my last post.
    Most of what I wanted is nicely explained in the pdf help file.
    The bit I did not understand immediately was that I had to go fishing for the help file in  C:/Program Files...... 
    It would be nice if there was a direct link to the ORM help file from the IDE.
    Ken
  • Mon, Feb 27 2006 20:17 In reply to

• Tyler
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 22

Sorry about the confusion, Ken.  When I wrote the tutorial I didn't realize it would be installed in such a non-obvious place.  I'm working on uploading the tutorial as a separate file, but we're running into a couple of stumbling blocks there.

In the meantime, for those of you wondering where the documentation is, look for it either in the "documentation" folder of the source code or NORMA 's directory if you installed from the binary.  If all else fails, do a search for "NORMA_Creating ORM schemas.pdf" on your hard drive.

Just as a clarification to everyone who may be wondering: No, the included .pdf is NOT the final documentation for NORMA.  It's merely a scenic walk-through, intended as an easy read for people who are new to conceptual modeling.  As a side-effect, it also happens to serve as a temporary instruction manual.  It's also my first "published" work, and any feedback is greatly appreciated.  Even if you hate it, I'd love to hear about it!

The full help file with a complete reference has not been written yet, and is in the works.  That file will be integrated with NORMA so that you can press F1 and get context-sensitive help on whatever you're doing.  It's also probably not going to be finished within the next couple of months.
  • Mon, Mar 6 2006 18:14 In reply to

• Jake
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 4

You may want to remove the CTRL key mappings as they may be different. I noticed you use ctrl-W, P for the properties window, where my VS2005 config uses F4. None of your shortcuts worked for me. I've got a base VS2005 install on a virtualPC
  • Mon, Apr 3 2006 4:15 In reply to

Hi,

I have started looking on ORM for my current project but the thing we would need for it to work for us is a Swedish translation of the verbalization phrases "For Each" etc...

It is mentioned in the help-file that you can do this by editing "the xml file". Now it might be that I missing something but I would very much like to know which file it is and more specifically I would translate these things.

Best regards,

Christian Lindkvist

• Mon, Apr 3 2006 13:16 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Christian,
    I think "the xml file" you are looking for is called "VerbalizationGenerator.xml"

You should find this file in:
    ~ \ORMModel\ObjectModel\VerbalizationGenerator.xml
  • Mon, Apr 3 2006 14:49 In reply to

Ken,

Thank you for the quick reply. I dont know if my installation is faulty but I dont have any path with that name and no file by that name. What I do have is a folder "Neumont/ORM Architect for Visual Studio" and in that there are no folder called "ORMModel" and i searched for it on my drive and couldnt find it at all. Is there something I am missing?

/Christian

• Wed, Apr 5 2006 13:34 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Christian,
    If you have installed NORMA properly, you should have a file called:  VerbalizationGenerator.xml
    "somewhere" on your system.

It will be visible in Visual Studio 2005's "Solution Explorer".

In Solution Explorer, the "ORMPackage" has 3 projects named :
       ExtensionExample
       ORMModel
       SatDLL

If you expand ORMModel you will see 12 components, one of which is called :

ObjectModel
    If you expand this, near the bottom of the list you will see the file:

VerbalizationGenerator.xml

Hope this helps.

Ken

• Wed, Apr 19 2006 16:45 In reply to

Notes I made while stepping through the PPT included with April release:
      Slide 6: I couldn't find a way to seperate the Verbillization browser from the ORM Model broweser - to match layout shown.
      Slide 7: I started looking for a place for sample data (as in InfoModeler), is there one?
      Slide 8:  Not a big thing, but is there a way to return "zoom" to original scale?
      Slide 17:  Something I did brought up a "New ORM Reading Editor."  It seemed redundant - is there a need for more than one ORM Reading Editor?  Deleting this didn't prevent completeing the tutorial.
      Slide 20:  Started looking for info on how to implement ring contraints.  The tools are there, but no info on how to apply them.
      Slide 21:  I found I needed to use Tools>Options then check "Show All Items" check box in lower left to get the result.

• Wed, Apr 19 2006 16:56 In reply to

Notes I made while stepping through the PPT included with April release:
      Slide 6: I couldn't find a way to seperate the Verbillization browser from the ORM Model broweser - to match layout shown.
      Slide 7: I started looking for a place for sample data (as in InfoModeler), is there one?
      Slide 8:  Not a big thing, but is there a way to return "zoom" to original scale?
      Slide 17:  Something I did brought up a "New ORM Reading Editor."  It seemed redundant - is there a need for more than one ORM Reading Editor?  Deleting this didn't prevent completeing the tutorial.
      Slide 20:  Started looking for info on how to implement ring constraints.  The tools are there, but no info on how to apply them.
      Slide 21:  I found I needed to use Tools>Options then check "Show All Items" check box in lower left to get the result.
      Slide 32  Found you need to click "Show all Files" icon to see the model file.
      Slide 36:  When trying to view the .vb file I got an error message "Does not exist..."  The other target files seemed to look as they should.
      I hope what I noted will help you revise the PowerPoint presentation for the next iteration.  For point of reference: I had used InfoModeler Version 3, and Version 2.  Never had a chance to work with the Visio for EA version.  Also, I don't have much experince with VS 2005. BRN..  

• Fri, Feb 8 2008 13:22 In reply to

• Jim
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 5

I'm stuck at the point where your proposed documentation of how to create a relational schema.  I've asked the question (received answers and been successful) many times. Clearly the UI is not idiot-proof (and I'm the one to test this).

I have a relational schema in the ORM Model Browser, but cannot view it.
    Why is this step so difficult?  Why is it so hard for me to find the instructions by searching this forum?
  • Fri, Feb 8 2008 15:16 In reply to

• Kevin M. Owen
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Neumont University, South Jordan, Utah
    • Posts 0

If you are referring to viewing the generated DDL code, the model file will need to be part of a project. Once you have added it to a project (if it isn't part of one already), select the .orm file in the Solution Explorer, and then click "ORMGeneratorSettings" in the Properties window. From here you can select the particular dialect of SQL that you want DDL generated for.

If you are referring to the relational view, you can turn it on in the Extension Manager (right click on the ORM diagram and select "Extension Manager..."). Our current relational view is really only a proof-of-concept, however. While it is enabled, there may be a noticeable delay when you make changes to the model that cause the relational view to be regenerated.

Please let us know if you need any other assistance.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service