in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Why extra tables in relational view if not declared independent?

Last post Wed, Apr 2 2014 23:57 by Matthew Curland. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 2 2014 0:34

Why extra tables in relational view if not declared independent?

I have an ORM model (in 2013/12 version) where some items only play functional dependencies with other objects, yet in the relational view, the are shown in their own tables, even though they are not declared as independent.  In earlier versions of NORMA this did not happen.  Is there some way I can attach a file to a post so you can see what I have done?  I tried to 'copy image' and paste here but that does not work.

• Wed, Apr 2 2014 23:57 In reply to

Re: Why extra tables in relational view if not declared independent?

Hi Gordon,

This is related to Other Features #6 in the Dec 2013 readme notes: Entity type subtypes with an auto counter data type can no longer be absorbed into the parent table. Similarly, no entity type identified by an autocounter can be created without its own table.

The default data type for the .id reference mode is Autocounter, so object types A,C,E are forced into their own tables, just as if they had been independent. If you had tried to load the DDL from the previous mapping you would have had a failure due to multiple IDENTITY columns in the same relational table for the D,B,XHasC tables. If you switch the data types to something that can coexist nicely in a table created for another object type then you'll see the tables absorb back in.

-Matt

PS This type of question is probably a better match for the NORMA/Technical Support forum. 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service