in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Github?

Last post Thu, Apr 27 2017 12:28 by Ken Evans. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 7 2017 22:20

• coreyk
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 23 2016
    • Phoenix AZ
    • Posts 6

Github?

I know there's one or two mirror's of the project on github.com, but I wondered if Matt or Terry have considered moving the project there? It seems to be where OSS thrives these days.

• Mon, Feb 13 2017 17:29 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Re: Github?

Hi Corey, 

NORMA is available on Github. Last September, I started a project with a view to properly documenting NORMA and resolving the remaining bugs.

Many of what I'm calling the "remaining bugs" were imported from SourceForge and were reported several years ago.
    However, the "remaining bugs" were never formally closed and I think that it is important to make sure that they have been resolved by testing each bug report against the current public version of NORMA (1564).

You can see the bug list here.

Please let me know if you are willing to contribute to this project.

Thanks

Ken 

• Mon, Feb 13 2017 17:46 In reply to

• coreyk
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Phoenix AZ
    • Posts 6

Hi Ken,

The link you provided is to a public Jira project, not really related to github. Did you have a link to where the project resides and accepts contributions to on github? I'm referring to something at https://github.com which is like I said where most of the open source projects are participating these days. It certainly makes it easier than sourceforge.

-Corey 

• Mon, Feb 13 2017 18:09 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Hi Corey,

Thanks for your quick response.

The project I set up uses the JIRA & Confluence features of the Atlassian platform.
    The Github link is accessible from within this project.  

Ken 

• Mon, Feb 13 2017 18:32 In reply to

• coreyk
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Phoenix AZ
    • Posts 6

Hi Ken,

I searched on Jira as well as Confluence at the link you provided. I didn't see anything that mentions github anywhere. Searching on github for for ormfoundation lead me to https://github.com/rassilon/NORMA. Is this the official repository? If so, it might be nicer to move it to a github organization named ormfoundation maybe? Thanks again for the help.

https://ormfoundation.atlassian.net/browse/NOR-6?jql=text%20~%20%22github%22  

-Corey 

• Mon, Feb 13 2017 19:48 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Hi Corey,

I don't know if what you found is the "official repository".

As I said, access to the NORMA Github has been set up within the JIRA project which you can join if you want to.  

Several people put months of effort into setting up the Jira environment and it seems a bit of a waste to start with a new initiative.

As is clearly stated on the Atlassian site, the initial purpose of the NORMA+ project is to stabilize NORMA by creating proper documentation and checking the existing bug reports. 

Do you agree with this or do you have some other purpose?

• Mon, Feb 13 2017 20:03 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Hi Corey,

Github or JIRA? 

I chose JIRA based on recommendations from others plus a lot of research.

Here is a comparison: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/comparison/jira-vs-github

Ken

• Mon, Feb 13 2017 20:22 In reply to

• coreyk
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Phoenix AZ
    • Posts 6

Hi Ken,

Github and Jira aren't really comparable things. One is primarily a source control repository that's extremely popular with open source projects and the other is primarily a way to track issues and work that needs to be done. While github has an issue tracking capability, it's definitely not its primary role. I'm primarily concerned with the process of actually submitting "pull requests" git terminology previously referred to as a patch with subversion.

Issues are definitely important and nice to catalog, but the mechanism for contributions needs to be as simple as possible to encourage participation. Sourceforge.org and other methods are becoming quickly left behind in favor of more modern and social ways of contributing to projects.

-Corey 

• Mon, Feb 13 2017 21:16 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Hi Corey,

Issues are a lot more than "nice to catalog" - they represent the "What" level whilst "pull requests" are at the "How to" level.
    Seems to me that both are needed which is why the Atlassian project is intended to get the benefits of both.

What is it that you want to achieve? 

• Mon, Feb 13 2017 21:37 In reply to

• coreyk
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Phoenix AZ
    • Posts 6

I would like to see the projects source control hosted on github.com. This will ultimately make the project easier to contribute actual code changes. If Jira is still used for the "what" is less important to me. Heck, even Microsoft hosts their code on github now.

• Mon, Feb 13 2017 22:09 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

The initial scope of the NORMA+ project is to:
    (a) document the existing code.
    (b) identify the bugs that have been fixed.

These two actions will provide a stable base for fixing the bugs that remain.

The JIRA environment provides an automated way of collecting issues from NORMA users - most of whom have never heard of Github.

Do you agree with this approach or not?

Anyway, as I have said, the source code is already hosted on Github.

• Thu, Apr 27 2017 12:28 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Hi Corey,

I'm sure that you will be pleased to know that Matt has moved the NORMA code from SVN to this repository on Github.

Ken 

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service