in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Marking a post/reply as answer

Last post Fri, May 30 2008 11:24 by Brian Nalewajek. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 24 2008 8:03

Marking a post/reply as answer

Admin,

Is there a way to mark a post reply as the answer to the question or problem mentioned in a post?  Matt C. found a registry key left over from a previous CTP of nORMa tool, that was causing problems with Extension Manager in VS2008 04/08 Drop on Vista systems.  We tested the problem, after removing the key, and EM is working as it should.  Matt's reply should be marked as the answer, or an answer for this thread.

If this feature is already available, please point out the steps.

Thanks,

BRN..

• Sat, May 24 2008 8:41 In reply to

• admin
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 21 2007
    • Posts 149

Re: Marking a post/reply as answer

Brian,

Thanks for your request.
    The "mark as answer" feature is now enabled for all registered users in all forums.

You will see the feature on the "Related" tab as shown below.

Admin

• Thu, May 29 2008 17:04 In reply to

Sorry, but I'm not seeing an option to mark as answered in the Related tab.

Matt just provided an answer to question on ValueTypeValueRange.  His reply should be marked as "The Answer" and my post should be marked as "Answered." I'm missing something on the procedure to do either.

Thanks,

BRN..

• Thu, May 29 2008 18:32 In reply to

• admin
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 21 2007
    • Posts 149

Answer

Brian,

I have (on my second attempt) enabled all of the NORMA forums and this one with the "Mark as Answer" feature.

It works as follows:
    In a thread's page, the first post has a dropdown menu to allow the person who started the thread (or a moderator or the administrator of the forum) to set the thread's status. All the other posts have a button, which allows the post to be marked as the answer to the thread.

Let me know what you think of the feature and if you think it should be enabled on all forums.

• Fri, May 30 2008 11:24 In reply to

Admin,

Looks like the post marking system is working, and I've marked several posts (in threads I started), as answered.  I think the arrangement should work for most forums here, but more so where specific questions are asked (NORMA - Technical, for example).  A forum like "Issues" may be better left to moderator/admin. My best advice is to monitor the feature, and check to see that it's being used as intended.  Abuse of this feature is possible - but more likely where some status is given for providing "answers" as is done at ASP.net. 

I suggest adding a section on marking posts to the Help page, at some point.

The feature should help in two ways:

As memebers and guests can see that an answer has been provided (or hasn't been, and they may have an answer).

If the feature is searchable, or is a filter option for viewing posts.

Hope it provides more benefits than headaches,

BRN..

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service