in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Create a forum for sharing ideas about the new ORM LITE modeling tool

Last post Wed, Oct 15 2008 4:35 by Ken Evans. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 8 2008 21:44

• BrianC
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 9 2008
    • Posts 48

Create a forum for sharing ideas about the new ORM LITE modeling tool

Proposed Forum Title: ORM LITE

Scope: Sharing ideas about the new ORM LITE modeling tool.

How it relates to ORM:
    ORM LITE is a new, light-weight, open-source ORM tool that implements most of the ORM 2 notation. ORM LITE was created to help popularize ORM. It is open source software, so it can be shared at no cost. It is completely self contained, so it is easy to install. It is cross-platform, working on Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and Unix. When users are ready to upgrade to an industrial strength tool, NORMA is recommended.

Why the ORM community will find it of interest
    Members of the ORM community would like to see a greater demand for ORM. The preview release of ORM LITE is packaged as an add-in to the GanttPV open source project scheduling tool. Because GanttPV is downloaded about 100 times per day, this strategy will put an ORM tool into the hands of 100 new project managers each day. As more project managers learn about ORM, more teams will adopt it. ORM LITE includes a brief introduction to ORM and points users to the ORM Foundation web site for more information.

ORM LITE is scriptable. It is hoped that ORM practitioners will be interested in using ORM LITE to develop and test new ORM related algorithms. For example, the preview release contains a partial implementation of Rmap (the script is included and can be modified as desired). An implementation of a UML mapping algorithm is in the works.

ORM LITE works with the GanttPV Server. This makes it easy to share models among team members. Model changes are tracked and can be shared via the server.

The preview release of ORM LITE is available at http://pureviolet.net/ganttpv/orm/index/

• Thu, Oct 9 2008 4:39 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Re: Create a forum for sharing ideas about the new ORM LITE modeling tool

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your post. It's always good to hear about new efforts to popularize ORM.  

However, the link http://pureviolet.net/ganttpv/orm/index/ does not work.

Furtheremore, I see messages dated as early as 15 January this year that say that the pureviolet link does not work. See http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=639#10404 

Ken

• Thu, Oct 9 2008 10:44 In reply to

• BrianC
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 48

Odd timing. The internet connection to the pureviolet.net server went down a few minutes after I made my post. It is up and operating again now. 

Regarding the portablefreeware post, I noticed that, too. As with Mark Twain, reports of the website's demise are greatly exaggerated. We've had more that our share of down time this year. First it was power outages due to poor weather. Now it is erratic service while the internet provider upgrades their infrastructure. Hopefully they will get their act together soon.

Please let me know if you have any more difficulty accessing the site.

• Fri, Oct 10 2008 4:59 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Hi Brian,

I looked at your website. ORM Lite does seem to be an interesting ORM approach so I have created a section in the library for your tool.

A Forum is possible but I suggest that you start any discussions in the "Other tools" section. If ORM Lite gets a reasonable number of posts, then I will create a new forum for you.

Ken

Filed under:
  • Tue, Oct 14 2008 14:51 In reply to

• BrianC
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 48

How should I go about making submissions to the ORM Lite section of the library? I thought it might be useful to either upload the ORM Lite release or perhaps a link to the ORM Lite website page. However, the upload button says that I don't have permission to submit files. Should I email them to you?

• Tue, Oct 14 2008 15:20 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Hi Brian,

I have updated your profile to allow you to upload files to the Tools:ORM Lite section in the Library.

You may upload the following types of files:  pdf,orm,doc,docx,vsd,ppt,pptx,zip,htm,html,txt,bat,msi

Let me know if you have a need for an additional file type.

Ken

• Wed, Oct 15 2008 0:03 In reply to

• BrianC
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 48

For some reason the upload still gives me the same error message. It says: " You do not have permission to upload or link to files. Please contact your system administrator."

Could you also add these file types: .tgz ( for Linux "compressed tar files") and .dmg (for the Macintosh "disk images")?

Thank you,

Brian 

• Wed, Oct 15 2008 4:35 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Hi Brian,

Sorry, my finger trouble - it should work now.
    The tgz and dmg files are now added.

Ken

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service