in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Support for iAnywhere

Last post Tue, Sep 8 2009 20:48 by Matthew Curland. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 25 2009 9:22

• BBarth
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Fri, May 16 2008
    • Posts 2

Support for iAnywhere

Hi

Could you please let me know whether it is planned to support Sybase iAnywhere (11) for future releases. The ORM Generator currently doesnt show this alternative.

Or ... Is there a workaround (for dummies) that I could use?

Thanks in davance

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jun 25 2009 9:43 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Re: Support for iAnywhere

I know it is not a direct answer to your question, but here is the dialog box that shows the database drivers that are available in VEA.
    My point is that this is a "known requirement".

I hope that Terry, or Matt will be able to give you some news on the status of NORMA drivers.

Ken

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jun 25 2009 10:10 In reply to

• BBarth
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Fri, May 16 2008
    • Posts 2

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the quick message. I have been toying with the VisoModeller 3.1 for a while without any problems as I can use the ODBC driver. NORMA with ODBC would be more than sufficient - Sybase iAnywhere would obviously be a bonus. It seems wierd as VisioModeller (more than 10 years old) currently offers more in this area (sql generation possibilities) than NORMA. Looking forward to Terry or Matt's comments.

• Tue, Sep 8 2009 20:48 In reply to

This is not a platform we have currently implemented. However, the cost of adding new DDL generation targets is a function of how far the DDL for the target platform is from the SQL standard representation. The DDL is generated with the following steps:

1. (Preliminary work to determine relational structure, visible in the generated *.DCIL.xml files))
    2. The DCIL file is transformed to a *.DDIL.xml file, which is an XML representation of DDL
    3. The DDL is formatted into text. The formatters are either the SQL standard transform, or other transforms that modify the output of various DDIL elements by importing the standard transform and overriding where needed.

So, if you want to help add a DDL generator for iAnywhere, you can first find the closest DDL variant that we currently generate and track where the iAnywhere incompatibilities are. This is basically a research project followed by data entry to get the transform correct. If one of our currently generated DDL variants is close it should be straightforward.

If you could do some preliminary checking to see if any of the current variants come close for this target I'd be happy to follow up with you.

-Matt

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service