in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Missing VirtualTreeGrid 9.0.0 dll

Last post Mon, Jul 19 2010 11:57 by Matthew Curland. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 18 2010 16:22

• VYoung
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 30 2009
    • Posts 1

Missing VirtualTreeGrid 9.0.0 dll

I just installed the latest version of NORMA on a WinXP SP3 box with VS Prof. 2008.  When I try to open the Object-Role Modeling File in VS I get the error "Cannot load file or assembly Microsoft.VisualStudio.VirtualTreeGrid, version=9.0.0.0 PublicKeyToken...or one of its dependencies.  The system cannot find the file specified"

I've Googled for VirtualTreeGrid.dll and have found all kinds of blogs stating there is a security risk with this dll.  So I'm guessing my virus security application may have removed the file.  Does any one know if there is really a security risk?  If not, is there an easy way to get hte dll reinstalled?

• Mon, Jul 19 2010 11:57 In reply to

Re: Missing VirtualTreeGrid 9.0.0 dll

What options did you select when you installed Visual Studio? I know the VirtualTreeGrid is used with the class diagrams for the VB and C# languages (you should have at least one of these installed). The treegrid is used as part of several other designers as well, but most of those are in the higher-end SKUs.

I ran the Google hits and found some virus-related hits on Microsoft.VisualStudio.VirtualTreeGrid.resources.dll, but none on Microsoft.VisualStudio.VirtualTreeGrid.dll. I was unable to find an explanation of the security threat, just that the dll could be used to gain control of a machine. Visual Studio does not install a resources dll for this control. AFAIK the control itself is fine. I know for sure that the control is straight .NET (nothing unsafe) with some external GDI Windows API calls. So, if you can get it to install with sufficient VS installation options then you should be fine.

-Matt

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service