in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

ORM Generator Selection empty (VS2010)

Last post Thu, Mar 24 2011 13:11 by hjorung. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 14 2011 12:56

• Vladfk
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 14 2011
    • Posts 4

ORM Generator Selection empty (VS2010)

Hi,

I'm new to NORMA and I'm trying to genereate simple DDL script using Visual Studio 2010. When I click on ORMGeneratorSetting ... it presents me with empty 'ORM Generator Selection' window.

May be I'm doing somthing wrong? Can somebody help?

Vlad

Filed under:
  • Mon, Feb 14 2011 17:29 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Re: ORM Generator Selection empty (VS2010)

Hi Vlad,

Have you followed the procedure in Tutorial 1?

Ken

• Mon, Feb 14 2011 20:55 In reply to

Hi Vlad,

For VS2010, the extensions and generators are listed in the same registry key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORM Solutions\Natural ORM Architect for Visual Studio 2010. You need to run Setup.bat with administrative permissions for these keys to be written.

Unlike the VS2008 and VS2005 products, the VS2010 installation uses the new VSIX installation protocol, which makes it possible to have an install that appears to be running but not support generators or designer extensions.

First, check to see if you have a Generators subkey at this location. If you do not, you should uninstall the product, then run setup.bat as an administrator.

-Matt

PS If this doesn't work, could you also specify your machine configuration (WinXP/Vista/7, 32 or 64 bit, VS2010 version)

• Tue, Feb 15 2011 6:22 In reply to

• Vladfk
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 4

Hi Ken,

Thank you for prompt replay!!! Yes I'm just following Tutorial 1 and stuck exactly on script generation part of it.

Have a nice day!!!

Vlad

• Tue, Feb 15 2011 6:24 In reply to

• Vladfk
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 4

Hi Matt,

Thank for helping me! I have checked my Registry key and I have this Registry Key on my machine which have /Designer and /Generators subkeys in it. I'm using Visual Studio Pro on Windows 7 (32 bit) laptop.

Have a nice day!!!

Vlad

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 1:09 In reply to

Answer

Hi Vlad,

Well, I totally blew this one I missed a conditional compilation line the tool for VS2010 and it is looking in the VS2008 registry location. I tested a clean VS2010 install from setup, but unfortunately had a VS2008 installation there as well, so I didn't see the problem.

For a quick fix, try the following from a command prompt opened with administrator permissions (you can put these lines in a .bat file if you like):

reg save "HKLM\Software\ORM Solutions\Natural ORM Architect for Visual Studio 2010" generators.hiv

reg add "HKLM\Software\ORM Solutions\Natural ORM Architect for Visual Studio 20008"

reg restore "HKLM\Software\ORM Solutions\Natural ORM Architect for Visual Studio 2008" generators.hiv

del generators.hiv

If you have VS2008 in a side-by-side install you should not do this (the reg add and reg restore lines will fail). For a 64-bit machine, you'll need to add \Wow6432Node to the registry keys immediately after Software.

You should now be able to restart and see the generators. My apologies for the inconvenience. I'll try to get an official fix out for this and a handful of other VS2010 issues in a couple of weeks, but I'm pretty slammed right now. VS2010 was a major set of changes (585 files across 4 repositories), so please be patient while I work out the remaining glitches.

Let me know if this enables your generators correctly.

-Matt

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 7:09 In reply to

• Vladfk
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 4

Hi Matt,

Thank you for all your help!!! It is working now!!!

Just for everybody who wants to use this fix please use

reg add "HKLM\Software\ORM Solutions\Natural ORM Architect for Visual Studio 2008" instead of one in the topic above (just typing error) and all will work fine.

Have a nice day!!!

Vlad

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 13:11 In reply to

• hjorung
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 12 2011
    • Posts 1

Thanks! I'm also new to NORMA, and this fix solved my issue on Windows 7 (64 bits). Impressive tool! Regards, Jørn
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service