in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Rigid Subtypes

Last post Mon, Mar 7 2011 13:59 by Matthew Curland. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 3 2011 19:38

Rigid Subtypes

In "Temporal Modeling: Part 4," Terry Halpin discusses using rigid subtypes in ORM and provides some examples (e.g., in figures 3, 4, and 7). Is there any way of identifying/portraying rigid subtypes in NORMA, even though rigidity is a dynamic constraint?

• Thu, Mar 3 2011 20:18 In reply to

Re: Rigid Subtypes

Hi Richard,

Sorry, but at the moment we have no way of marking either a fact type or a subtype as rigid. We plan on adding this support in the future, but it is not very high on the priority list right now.

-Matt

• Fri, Mar 4 2011 17:45 In reply to

Matt, Can you give an example of the graphical representations that will be used for rigid and non-rigid subtypes?
  • Mon, Mar 7 2011 13:59 In reply to

Hi Clifford,

We haven't locked anything down at this point, but it will likely be similar to what Terry shows in his book (brackets or bold vertical lines at the edges of the fact type and on the text of the object type). I'd probably do something that doesn't look exactly like a character (brackets have other meanings as well).

So, no, I can't give you a graphical representation at this point because I haven't mocked it up or given it extensive thought. 

-Matt

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service