in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Domain Name for Postgres

Last post Thu, Nov 10 2011 13:02 by Matthew Curland. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:03

Domain Name for Postgres

Hi ,

In Norma it's possible to create domain for postgres database , I need to create  datamodel with Domains and Schema for Postgres database

Regards,

Ritesh Singh

• Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:16 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

Re: Domain Name for Postgres

Sorry, but NORMA does not support Postgres.

Ken

• Thu, Nov 10 2011 12:06 In reply to

Hi Ken,

While it is true that NORMA does not currently reverse engineer Postgres, it does generate Postgres DDL.

NORMA generation for a specific DDL flavor is done through targeted modifications to the SQL standard generator, so the cost of support different DDL flavors is directly dependent on how far they deviate from the standard. Of the languages we support, Postgres actually displays the smallest deviation.

Reverse engineering is a completely separate question because each database platform has a different mechanism for introspection. Basically, this needs to be handled on a case-by-case basis.

-Matt

• Thu, Nov 10 2011 13:02 In reply to

Hi Ritesh, 

NORMA generates Domains automatically when needed, but often inlines the domain definitions (same information without a domain name). What is your scenario for requiring explicit domains?

There is no installed mechanism for generating multiple schema names right now, but I posted a mechanism for using custom properties to modify the generated schemas in SQL server. It should work with Postgres as well. Download the zip from http://www.ormfoundation.org/forums/p/573/1698.aspx#1698 and follow the instructions there. [see below for possible required modifications on the installer.] A quick test indicates that the generated PostgreSQL DDL includes the custom schema name and looks reasonable, but I haven't tested by loading it into a Postgres DB.

Let me know if this works for your system, and I can repost the transform with updated installers (to handle VS2010 and 64-bit systems).

-Matt

(Possible modifications to installer)

The installers in the linked zip do not have a VS2010 installer, but a 2010 installer is easily created (replace the two occurrences of 2005 with 2010). The more subtle issue occurs on a 64-bit system. Visual Studio is a 32-bit application and is installed in a different location in the registry. You'll need to modify HKLM\Software\ to HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\ to successfully install on a 64-bit system.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service