in

The ORM Foundation

Get the facts!

Mapping ORM to relational schema in NORMA?

Last post Sun, Oct 18 2015 11:53 by Ken Evans. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 17 2015 22:47

• emcuevas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 25 2015
    • Posts 9

Mapping ORM to relational schema in NORMA?

Hi,

I would just like to ask if their is any way to map an ORM model to a relational schema(Chapter 11: Relational Mapping) using NORMA tool? 

Person-->has-->PersonId ==> Person(PersonID) 

• Sat, Oct 17 2015 23:10 In reply to

Re: Mapping ORM to relational schema in NORMA?

Yes, an ORM tool such as NORMA can map ORM schemas to relational schemas, although currently some of the more advanced constraints are not mapped. If you are using NORMA, just right-click an empty space in the Document Window, select Extension Manager from the context-menu, click Relational View and press OK to see a diagram of the relational schema that is automatically generated.

For further details on using NORMA to perform a relational map, see the NORMA labs that are accessible at either www.ORMFoundation.org or www.orm.net. For more detailed coverage, see my latest book 'Object-Role Modeling Fundamentals' (there is a link on my website to purchase that book ).

Cheers

Terry

• Sun, Oct 18 2015 3:55 In reply to

• emcuevas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 25 2015
    • Posts 9

Hi,

I really appreciate the reply. Uhm, i got the part where NORMA let's me know what is my primary key(single underline in relationship with chapter 11). But how about the foreign keys and other alternative(double underlined, if im not mistaken).?

and just to be sure, NORMA wont let mee see the Person(PersonId,personHasName) ?

*personHasName has two underlines.  

• Sun, Oct 18 2015 11:53 In reply to

• Ken Evans
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2007
    • Stickford, UK
    • Posts 805

The NORMA tool does not use underlining technique shown in Chapter 11.

As Terry said, if you are using NORMA and you have the relational extension feature switched on, then a relational schema appears on a separate page. You can see all of the keys in the relational schema.

Here is an example from part of the "Talent" model that you can download from the Library.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
© 2008-2024 ------- Terms of Service